Session 5- Creating Virtual Realities

10/11/17

Creating Virtual Realities

Today we had another visit from Piera. It was an insight and overview into how to create our own virtual worlds. It included a demonstration of the Unity software and 360 video equipment. She gave us a clear comparison between high end VR options vs affordable ones for students including software’s like gear VR and HTC Vive.

Gear VR:

Pros:

• Affordable
  • Can run off your Samsung phone
  • Better testing
  • Portable

Cons:

• Can be complicated to export
  • Setting up Unity can take a day or two, debugging is time consuming.
  • Lower quality rendering
  • More difficult to integrate transportation
  • Predominantly windows based

HTC VIVE:

Pros:

• Easier to integrate with unity
  • Exporting is simple
  • Better quality
  • Transportation is easier to integrate
  • Works easily with both mac and windows

Cons:

• Expensive
  • Unless you spend thousands of equipment, you would need to limit your work to where it’s placed (e.g. Digital Maker Collective)
  • Not portable (unless with great difficulty)

She also mentioned that if we would like to start by designing with readymade shapes, the best programs to use would-be Cinema 4D, Blender 3D or Rhino. With these apps, you can quite simply create shapes and animate them by adding textures. This lesson made me realise how simple it can be to create my own virtual reality worlds with a bit of practice. Before, I didn’t really know where to start with VR, however the advice I received from her really marked a starting point for me.

We are all aware that at this point in time, VR is not accessible for all due to pricing, however, when It is affordable for all, what impact will this have upon design? Will all design processes rely on technology?