Session 6- Pitch of VR Concept Proposals

17.11.17

Pitch of VR Concept Proposals

Today we had the chance to pitch our own visual proposal for our virtual reality concept.

For this project, I worked in partnership with my friend. We were both inspired by our textiles colour project.  We had both created a range of different textured samples. My project was inspired by rustic walls. My aim throughout the colour project was to capture texture to the fullest. As I have stated before, I believe VR can be improved through making it more of a sensorial experience. We both agreed that the current VR industry is often visual based hence why we wanted to place heavy emphasis on the sense of touch for our virtual reality concept.

Figure 7. Texture wall, Yilmaz and Sagoe, (2017)

Our idea was to have a placement of our textile samples with different textures on the walls while people walk around an abstract world through the VR glasses. The audience will be able to touch the walls/ surroundings, kick-starting children to understand the sense of touch. We wanted this to be easily accessible for people with physical and learning disabilities, allowing them to be surrounded in an abstract world which will excite and will be an interactive activity for all.

Below are two examples of prototypes of what our texture wall could potentially look like.  It is interesting to see the differences between both textured walls. They each create a different atmosphere, which will allow each experience to be vastly different. My samples are made up of a softer colour palette with more of a delicate touch, which in return will sooth the person, making them feel calmer whilst getting  immersed within the environment. On the other hand, my friends samples are bold in colour with dynamic shapes. This will make people feel energised, boosting their mood. I believe both our textured walls will offer different enjoyable sensoral experiences. It will be a unique experience as it will give them the chance to travel through a room full of different textures.

Figure 8. My Texture Wall, Yilmaz (2017) – I have used a muted colour palette with intricate and sensitive textures to offer a  soothing experience
Figure 9. Tiwa (my partner) Texture Wall (Sagoe, 2017)- Boldly coloured with dynamic shapes

Figure 10. Texture swatches, Yilmaz (2017)- Possible texture arrangements/ A variation of layered textures

I really enjoyed working on the proposal with my friend because it allowed us to think about how our works could be used in virtual reality. We were able to share ideas and join our ideas together to form an interactive activity that can be used for teaching and training. Overall, I believe we could have improved our idea by considering what type of VR gear would be needed to interact with the textural wall, considering the fact that it is not relying on the use of a VR headset.